Friday, October 25, 2013

From there to here: Persistence pays off for Ghanaian immigrant Edward Bansah

From there to here: Persistence pays off for Ghanaian immigrant Edward Bansah

Edward Bansah, who came to Canada in 1998 from Ghana, has faced discrimination here, but believes that if newcomers work hard, they can make it.


Edward Bansah has faced many challenges since he came to Canada in 1998. But he has built a successful life in Brampton as an immigration consultant.


More than 240,000 immigrants are expected to arrive in Canada this year. Many will settle in the GTA. For some, their dreams may take years to build. For others, those dreams may never materialize.


To explore that experience, the Star is publishing an occasional series in the words of newcomers, both recent and more established. If you would like to tell your story, email dzblack@thestar.ca

Edward Bansah, an immigration consultant, came to Canada in November 1998 as a skilled worker. Bansah, who had a degree in statistics from the University of Ghana, had been working in the United States for nearly two years with the Council on International Educational Exchange.


Prior to his arrival in the U.S., he worked at the University of Ghana as an administrator. But then, with the encouragement of his brother who already lived here, he applied to come to Canada. At first, finding work was difficult. He took jobs at Canadian Tire and a logistics company. He also worked as an interpreter for the Immigration and Refugee Board.

But he wanted more and went to York University and got a masters of economics as well as a diploma in Migration and Refugee Studies. He became an immigration consultant in 2006. He and his family settled in Brampton where there is a sizeable Ghanaian community.


Q: Why did you come to Canada?


A: Let me be clear about this there are two kinds of immigrants. Some come in as political refugees; some come in as investors; some come in as economic migrants, skilled workers. That was the category I came in under. Ghana was peaceful. I didn’t have any problem. I just wanted to have a better life for myself and my family. I was married with one child at the time.


Q: Did you have trouble finding work?


A: When I arrived, as a new immigrant, it’s not that easy. . . I started as an accredited interpreter with the Immigration and Refugee Board. I got that job a month after my arrival.

It was interesting. That was part time. . . The income wasn’t enough. I therefore had to take a night job at Canadian Tire at the main distribution centre in Brampton. I did this for one year. After one year, I decided to develop myself academically and go back to school. After that, while I was taking the course at York, I was still doing the interpreting at the IRB.

Then, when I finished the program, I continued doing the translation working at the IRB and again the income wasn’t enough. So I took another night job with a company called Shankar, a logistics, distribution company.


Q: Did you feel humiliated having to take these jobs or did you view it as a necessary step?


A: A little bit of both feelings — somehow feeling a bit humiliated by the kind of work and the shifts I was doing. At the same time, I considered the fact that I was new in the country and that with determination and hard work things would change.


Q: What did you think of Toronto when you first arrived?


A: Toronto is a beautiful city. One significant aspect of it is it’s a multicultural city. I always say the whole world is in Toronto. You more or less get everybody from every part of the world here . . . and it’s a very neat and clean city. And it’s peaceful.


Q: Have you faced any discrimination and disappointments?


A: Discrimination — you definitely meet it. When I was working at Shankar, and this was when I had already obtained my masters of economics, there was a young guy who I was paired with to go get some products and send to shipping. . . . (He) said some racist comments. “I don’t see why I should be paired with this n-guy.” I said: “If you have a problem, you better tell the supervisor. I’m a black guy. I’m in Canada. I’m a citizen. Just like you’re a citizen. One thing I know about Canada. Canada is a peaceful country that embraces immigrants, people of colour, so it’s about time you conditioned your mind to this.” He later apologized.


Q: What advice would you give to newcomers when they come to Canada to prepare them?


A: Don’t expect that you will definitely get whatever you want in terms of profession and everything the moment you arrive. You may get frustrated at a point in time, but focus, develop yourself and know where you can function and you’ll get in there.”


Source Thestar.com



From there to here: Persistence pays off for Ghanaian immigrant Edward Bansah

No comments:

Post a Comment